Get Rid of Static Electricity from You
The first place to start in order to get rid of static electricity is your own body. Your clothes and skin, as well as your home, may be fighting against you. When skin rubs on skin and the air is dry you build up intense static charges. When you wear synthetic materials they generate massive charges. When you walk across a carpet in your socks or shoes with synthetic rubber you risk charging your entire body as a static gun. So here is the checklist
- humidify the air in your home or office
- get rid of the carpet or put the computer in an uncarpeted room
- wear shoes with real rubber
- never wear synthetic materials
- moisturize your skin
- discharge any charges by touching a metal pipe or frame before touching any part of your computer, including a wired keyboard or a wired mouse.
- use a static gun
- carry a static shock reducer/eliminator key chain
Taking these measures will eliminate very dangerous sources of static electricity and will protect your computer. Check out Pascal Technologies’ article on How to Clean a Computer.
Why Get Rid of Static Electricity?
I placed this paragraph at the end so people who already know why can get straight to the how. As for the rest of my readers, here is the reason for getting rid of static electricity from your computer’s environment and from you. Static electric charges kill computers.
Computers are sensitive microelectronic machines. They operate without many moving parts. Instead, they use electricity to create a virtual world. This current of electricity is easily affected by static electricity. When you walk across a carpet in socks you build up a huge and devastating charge that goes from your fingertips, through the keys on your keyboard, along the wire and into the computer. It is so large you can kill most any component in your computer with one zap. So, for the sake of your sanity and your computer’s longevity, not to mention perhaps reducing the chance that you might get fired for not finishing that report for the big meeting, you should take static electricity seriously. Get rid of static electricity, because it can be a killer.